Day 2: Sunday March 9, 2003

Tucson, AZ - Our first two-game day arrived, when we had tickets
for the Mariners at the Rockies and the Rockies at the White Sox.
This was destined to be the Rockies day, as before it was said
and done they would plate 30 runs.

Before baseball though, we needed some lunch. We chose the
Taqueria Pico de Gallo, a walk-up Mexican lunch counter in a
"less than preferred area of town," according to one local. We
selected two-dozen tamales de carne, though we were intrigued
by one menu selection: the manta ray tacos, I kid you not.

The Rockies train at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson, a small park with
very little foul territory. The setting was almost little league in this

We sat near the top of the bleachers in 81 degree sun for this
contest, and at first were amused by some old shirtless guy
wearing a ca. 1989 Mariners cap trying to shag foul balls. After 17
seconds, however, this became quite annoying. He ran around
with all the excitement of an eight-year-old and actually ran some
people off "his row."

When a foul ball finally came our way, the shirtless
wonder was interfered with by another fan and was not
happy about it. It proved to be entertaining though, as it
landed on the metal bench right next to a guy who was sound asleep. WAKE UP!

The Rockies hung up ten runs in the eighth and won 19-6.

That evening, we returned to Tucson Electric Park,
where the White Sox share facilities with the D'backs.
We had fantastic seats on the third row at the end of
the Sox dugout, and in front of us were several guys
from Chicago. Among them were two kids around
the ages of 12 and seven.  We were very impressed
as the told us the name of every Sox player on the

We began to support them by yelling at the players
between innings to throw a ball to some "real fans,"
which these young men definitely were.

They really loved the White Sox. So how surprised
were we when the second baseman booted a ball,
and the older boy stood up and shouted something
along the lines of "You stink Jiminez!" It was

Later in the game, the security guard got hold of a
foul ball and tossed it in the direction of the young
fan. Our applause quickly dissipated as he booted it
and the guard gave it to someone else.

"Hey," I said to the kid, "Jiminez is coming over here to tell you that you stink," and we all had a big laugh.

This game also featured former Ranger Darren Oliver. "I can't believe we drove 1100 miles to watch Darren Oliver!" I said.

After the game we played catch in the parking lot and our trip was off to a great start. Once we had dented two or three Beamers, we decided we should stop. Well, that and great pain set into our arms after about five minutes.

We thought we'd finish the day with a trip to Perkins, so we answered baseball trivia read by Big Jake as we drove on over. Imagine our dismay when, upon arrival, we found it to be closed down.

"How could they close down a Perkins?" cried Clayton, at first with anger. But then he turned his head toward the window as a small tear fell down his cheek.

Hi Corbett Field (left), spring home of the Colorado Rockies

OOB founder and owner Joshua V. Best (below) enjoys his time at the Rockies' facility, one of the better parks here in Arizona.
Go to the "Out of Bounds" Home Page
Watching a game at Hi Corbett (L to R "Perkins" Pecot, "Big Jake" Hudgins, and the Lizard.
The view at Hi Corbett from the right field corner. Once again, we were impressed by the up-close feel that a spring game brings.

Rockies slugger Todd Helton (left) digs in and prepares to smack another one.

Find a view this close (below) at a regular season game? Can't be done! By this time, the place was clearing out due to the Rocks' big lead, so the Lizard and I moved down to the front row.
The Lizard (left) and Perkins Pecot take part in the spring tradition of playing catch outside the old ballyard.